It's Extreme Makeover: Comic Edition as the team travels to Georgia to visit the Sharrock family. Michael and Cindy's young son Patrick suffers from brittle bone disease. Patrick actually broke both his legs while he was kicking in the womb. Doctors didn't have much hope for him.
Patrick is about half the size of a normal nine-year-old and he may not get much bigger. It doesn't matter how much he grows because no one's body could match the size of Patrick's heart, not to mention his comic book collection! Patrick's house puts him at risk for painful injuries anytime he falls. The family needs a help building a new home. Well, help is on the way!
Ty, Ed, Xzibit, Leigh Anne and Eduardo are a welcome sight to the family. The house, however, is a sight that needs a new vision. The theme of the week is all about superheroes, or in this case, our volunteers. Craig Smith and Jason Willard lead this crew of heroes up to the home as the family heads off to Walt Disney World in the Sharrock-mobile superhero limo.
The Legion of Demo (otherwise known as the designers in their superhero garb) helps bring down the house. Over in Orlando, Patrick gets to spread his message by making a public service commercial with a group of other super kids. Then he meets up with Atticus Shaffer, the young star of The Middle. Like Patrick, Atticus has a form of brittle bone disease. He gives Patrick his very own director's chair and introduces him to the rest of the cast. When the family returns home, it's time to MOVE THAT BUS!
Here's a breakdown of the new digs:
• The exterior features a big, bright gate that opens to a long driveway leading up to the beautiful home.
• The inside is huge with a framed picture of the family over the fireplace and gorgeous chandelier over the brand new dining room table.
• The indoor aquatic therapy pool is just Patrick's size and should help improve the quality of his life.
• The cork flooring is smooth, soft and serves as the walkway for many wide open spaces.
• The Patrick-sized kitchen has a sink and fridge that's easy for him to reach.
• CVS provides Patrick with a bathroom that's wheelchair accessible. That should work well with the Pat-mobile, a superhero wheelchair with a joystick and horn. CVS also set up a fund of $25,000 to cover therapy expenses.
• Patrick's room is bright and filled with all sorts of building toys. The giant gears on the wall crank to reveal a secret passageway into...
• The Superhero Room! Actually, it's a classroom for Patrick's home schooling. But the huge mural on the wall would lead anyone to believe this was a secret superhero lair. It even has a picture of Patrick's secret identity: Dr. Scorcher.
• Michael and Cindy's safari-themed bedroom is amazing. They have their own bathroom with a glass door shower.
• Leigh Anne lets Michael and Cindy know there are cameras all over the house so they can keep an eye on Patrick wherever he goes.
• The backyard is sprawling with soft walkways, a mini-mountain and, of course, a cool clubhouse for Patrick to hang during his superhero downtime.
The family learns that the mortgage on their home has been paid in full. It's super news for a super kid and his super folks. Welcome home, Sharrock family. Welcome home.