- 2 sheets birch ply
- 2 3/4"x8"x8 solid birch
- 4 - 1 1/2" wheels
- stain (your choice)
- furniture wax
- Table Saw
- The sliding bookcase that we built acted as a door for a closet. In the room that you will be installing your bookcase, measure the closet opening. These dimensions will determine the size of your bookcase.
- Build the bookcase eight inches wider and four inches taller than the door opening. Rip the plywood into sixteen inches wide. Build the box first and then install the shelves at eighteen inches of separation.
- Rip the solid birch into inch and a half widths. Face frame the cabinet. The bottom face piece will go on after the wheels are attached. Make sure the bottom piece is a little smaller than the height of the wheels.
- The sliding bracket is a French cleat. Make the track piece double the width of the bookcase to allow it to move out of the way. Cut the forty- five degree French cleat pieces and wax the bevel face really well. Attach the pieces to the track and the back of the bookcase making sure you reverse the angle.
- Stain and finish the bookcase. Then with a little lift set the guide bracket into the track. You might have to add more wax or adjust the height of the bracket to allow for the smoothest glide.