Sea Shell Room Desk
Half Sheet of 3/4" Birch Ply
50lb Bag of Sand
3 Gallons of Pourable Resin
1) Cut one piece of ply 46 1/2"x16 1/2", two pieces 48"x3 3/4" and two pieces 16 1/2"x 3 3/4"
2) Assemble pieces of wood with the small trim pieces to the outside edge of base to have a finished dimension of 48"x18".
3) Pour sand into desk top which now looks like a 3" deep tray; sift to desired shape and depth. Arrange sea shells as desired. Also, you may try laminating pictures and placing them into the desk (optional).
4) This step is very important, start pouring the resin at the center of the project slowly as to not disturb the layout. Use enough to cover the entire surface with a thin coat so it may cure faster. Once that has started to harden (drying times may vary, read the comments on the packaging), you may continue to pour remaining in approximately 1/2" thick increments, approximately. Allow at least one day for total cure, unless you want to have fun and unusual shapes permanently formed into your nice new desktop!
5) Attach a cleat to desired mounting height on the wall of your choice (under a window sill would be nice). Attach desk to cleat and install the shelf/angle brackets for additional support.
6) Enjoy new desk