1 tsp. White Sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water(110F)
1 Tbsp active dry yeast
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp. salt
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Lite Basil Pesto:
1 bunch fresh basil (1/2 cup packed leaves)
2 tsp. chopped garlic
2 Tbsp. pine nuts
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 ball fresh mozzarella
2 vine ripe tomatoes
Directions for pesto:
- Toast pine nuts in a small sauté pan over medium heat, until golden and fragrant; 4-5 minutes.
- Add pine nuts and remaining ingredients to food processor, blend until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water. Sprinkle yeast over the top, and let stand for about 10 minutes, until foamy.
- Stir the olive oil and salt into the yeast mixture, then mix in the whole wheat flour and 1 cup of the all-purpose flour until dough starts to come together. Tip dough out onto a surface floured with the remaining all-purpose flour, and knead until all of the flour has been absorbed, and the ball of dough becomes smooth, about 10 minutes. Place dough in an oiled bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover loosely with a towel, and let stand in a warm place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- When the dough is doubled, tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and divide into 2 pieces for 2 thin crust, or leave whole to make one thick crust.
- Roll a ball of dough with a rolling pin until it will not stretch any further. Then, drape it over both of your fists, and gently pull the edges outward, while rotating the crust. When the circle has reached the desired size.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Put 1 of the pizza crusts on the cooking spray coated grill rack and grill it until golden and puffy.
- This will take about 3 minutes. Turn the crust grill-mark side facing up and brush a coating of the pesto sauce.
- Top the pizza with the mozzarella cheese as well as the tomatoes.
- Turn heat to low and close the grill to let bake for 5 minutes careful to not let the crust burn.
- Pull off the grill, season with salt and pepper to taste. Cut and serve immediately to keep crisp crust.
Serves: 6-8 people
Calories per serving: 335
Calorie equivalent: 2 carbohydrates, 1.5 oz. protein, 1.5 fats
For another Basil Pesto Recipe, try creating the Basil Pesto Pasta with Tiny Potatoes and Broccoli Recipe from The Chew