4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 Tbsp. no trans fat margarine
2 bags baby spinach
2 tsp. chopped garlic
3 oz. goat cheese (can use feta)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 pound sliced mushrooms
1 Tbsp. flour
2 Tbsp. brandy
1/4 cup organic, reduced sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup fat free half-and-half
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. fresh black pepper
1. Pound chicken breast to 1/4-inch wide between 2 sheets of plastic wrap.
2. Heat 1 Tbsp. margarine in large saute pan over medium heat. Add shallots and cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic and spinach and saute until spinach wilts, 2-3 minutes. Place spinach mixture on 4-5 paper towels and squeeze excessive moisture out.
3. Place spinach in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. Mix in goat cheese.
4. Spread 1/4 of the filling on each chicken breast, roll up and secure with toothpick.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat olive oil in large saute pan over medium high heat until hot, add rolled chicken breast and brown on each side for 3 minutes. Remove from pan to baking dish, cover with foil and place in the oven to finish cooking for 10-12 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, add remaining 1 Tbsp. margarine and mushrooms to saute pan that the chicken was cooked in. Saute mushrooms until lightly browned and cooked.
7. Sprinkle mushrooms with 1 Tbsp. flour, stir well. Add brandy and chicken broth and cook for 3 minutes to reduce liquid. Add fat free half-and-half and parsley, cook for 1 more minute until the sauce is thickened.
8. Place cooked chicken breast on plate and top with mushroom brandy sauce.
Calories per serving: 350
Calorie equivalent: 5 oz. protein, 2 vegetables, 1 fat
Recipe courtesy of California Health & Longevity Institute