3, 15 oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1, 15 oz. can tomatoes, chopped and drained
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 green onions, thinly sliced
2 tsp. garlic, chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2, 14 oz. cans reduced sodium, organic beef broth
1/3 cup sherry
16 oz. can solid packed pumpkin
1 Tbsp. lite sour cream, green salad and fresh bread
1. In blender or food processor, puree beans and tomatoes together.
2. Heat oil in soup pot; add onion, green onions, garlic, cumin and pepper. Saute until onions are soft, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Stir in bean and tomato puree, broth, sherry and pumpkin.
4. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
5. Serve with 1 Tbsp. lite sour cream, green salad and fresh bread.
Calories per serving: 400
Calorie equivalent: 4 oz. vegetarian protein, 1 carbohydrate, 1 vegetable
Recipe courtesy of California Health & Longevity Institute