Here is your brief recap of "The Substitute." For the more detailed recap of this episode, go to the next page!
On the island: Locke and Sawyer:
- Locke frees Richard and asks him to join him. Richard refuses.
- Locke goes to Sawyer in his old house at the barracks and says he can answer the most important question Sawyer has: Why is he on the island.
- Locke sees a young teenage boy in the jungle who reminds him of the rules.
- Locke and Sawyer climb down a cliff and go into a hidden grotto where the names of the potential candidates are written on the wall. Locke uses this to recruit Sawyer to his side: they're going to leave the island.
On the island: at the foot statue:
- Ben tells Ilana what happened to Jacob inside the foot statue.
- Sun won't leave Locke's body on the beach, so they carry him back to the grave area of the survivors' old beach camp
- Ilana explains that the person pretending to be Locke can't change his face anymore; he's stuck like that.
- They bury the real John Locke, and Ben says a short eulogy for him.
- Locke is living with Helen and they are going to get married.
- At his job at the box company, he lies to Randy about the Australian trip and is fired.
- Hurley helps Locke out by giving him contact info for a temp agency he owns; Rose works there and gets Locke a job as a substitute teacher.
- At the school, Locke meets fellow teacher Ben Linus, who teaches European history.
Watch Matthew Fox and Jimmy Kimmel unbox the series box set
Interact and explore with excerpts from the official book
See some of the props, wardrobe and set dressing auctioned off to fans
Explore the major events plotted out chronologically and episodically
Hey, doc, get your own personal handle from Sawyer
Uncover the Dharma Initiative in an original documentary series