Jovanka Ciares comes into the competition swinging with “The Wellness Smackdown Plan”, an anti-inflammatory vegan diet that uses herbs to detoxify the body. This diet puts your body on a schedule, only feeding it between the hours of 10AM and 7PM— and drinking a gallon of water, fruit smoothies, along with three meals, including fresh vegetables and whole grains. Jovanka even adds warm oil massages as well as herbal teas. The hard part: ABSOLUTELY NO SNACKING! We’ll see how her contestant holds up in “My Diet is Better Than Yours!”
BASIC DIET PRINCIPLES
- Drink 1 gallon of water per day
- Infuse your water with fresh herbs and fruits (lemon with mint, ginger with blueberries, rosemary with apples). The water absorb the nutrients from the herbs/fruit and you’ll get fun flavored water.
- Drink herbal teas (iced or hot) throughout the day.
- Breakfast: embrace liquid/semi liquid meals every day (they are easy to digest and :
- Green juices and green smoothies in spring/summer
- Warm oatmeal, chia puddings in fall/winter
- Add supplements like chia seeds, moringa powder or vegan protein powder
- Lunches: Include both raw and lightly cooked vegetables with a whole grain for lunch. This is your heaviest meal of the day.
- Snack only when absolutely necessary. Stick to raw vegetables with high plant protein like hummus or half portions of smoothies for snacks.
- Dinner: Will be easy to digest meals like soups, stews or Indian kitchari. Last bite must be 3 hours prior to sleep.
- Healthy oils in your diet will include small amounts of avocado, nuts, seeds and grapeseed, or coconut oil for cooking.
- Lunch and dinner can include unlimited amounts of vegetables.
- Embrace herbs to help digest and absorb nutrients more efficiently: fennel, cumin, ginger
- Was goes in is as important as what comes out. Your elimination should be daily and a full amount. Using mild herbs can help relief constipation.
BASIC MOVEMENT PRINCIPLES
- Daily movement a must (minimum of 30 minutes each time):
- Non-traditional activities that you enjoy are best options: dancing, yoga, playing with your kids, walking, biking.
- Even household chores count. Just make sure you shake your booty every day.
- Outdoor activities are highly encouraged.
- High intensity interval workouts (30 seconds really hard, followed by 90 seconds of regular move, repeat 10-15 times) are also wonderful.
- 30 minutes workout hacks that can be done in short bursts of 2-3 minutes throughout the day to get your heart rate up more times during the day.
BASIC MINDSET PRINCIPLES
- Upon wake up, take a few deep conscious breaths counting to 4 as you inhale, counting to 4 as you hold your breath and counting to 6 as you exhale. Repeat 3 times.
- Spend a few minutes in quiet contemplation, using your favorite prayer, mantra or motivational message to set the tone and intention for your day.
- Create a written plan to visualize your goals and spend a few minutes each day visualizing those goals as if they are already here.
- Listen to your body’s cues. Use a daily journal to write down your physical and emotional symptoms, cravings and needs. This will provide a deeper understanding of what your body needs and why.
- Embrace alternative forms of pleasure (not just the instant gratification pleasure of sugar or other unhealthy foods). Use your other senses in pleasurable activities like listening to music that moves you, take a pottery or sculpting class, kiss your children or partner, enjoy the sunset, get a massage.
- Use peppermint, grapefruit or cinnamon essential oils to manage food and sugar cravings throughout the day.
- Infuse in the house or apply to your hands and smell your hands
- Practice stress reduction/stress management techniques like Reiki and hypnotherapy
Get a preview now!
For the latest on My Diet is Better Than Yours, keep checking ABC.com for updates!