Get a first look inside Marvel's original graphic novel, Revenge: The Secret Origin of Emily Thorne available digitally and in print on September 3, 2014.
Marvel wanted to make sure the comic's story was closely tied to the show, so the all-new adventure in the comic is canon and the graphic novel will flesh out an early part of the vengeful history of Emily Thorne (or, Amanda Clarke, as she was known back then) that has never been revealed on TV. Just as the recently returned David Clarke will be reconnecting and learning more about his daughter in Season 4, readers will be able to fill in the gaps in Emily's origin as her backstory unfolds in a never-before-told action-adventure set in Geneva, Switzerland.
As depicted on the cover, Emily has samurai savvy, but the graphic novel takes place midstep in her evolution when she's far too overconfident and hasn't yet honed her fighting abilities. "She's raw and edgy but still has skills," Revenge series writer Ted Sullivan explains, "and I think old fans will be excited to see this side of her that they haven't seen before." Ted calls this her "Empire Strikes Back story" since it takes place between angry, brunette Amanda's years in juvie and blonde, ninja Emily's calculating time in the Hamptons.
The graphic novel's author Erica Schultz along with Ted Sullivan and Sunil Nayar (Executive Producer of Revenge) tease to what's in store for the comic:
• The main plot introduces a powerful European family that is linked to the Flight 197 disaster, so the story will shed new light on the conspiracy and the villains you already know. "It's shocking to Amanda in this story, and I think it will be equally shocking and exciting to fans of the show," Ted explains.
• The comic chronicles Emily's first takedown of a person in an act of revenge. "This is her first real takedown," Erica asserts, so this inexperienced and impetuous Emily will mess up and "she realizes she's not as smart as she thinks she is."
• Fans will see a lot of the "ninja ass-kicking Emily" in this comic.
• Even though there's a lot of action, fans will also see all the fashion and stately settings that Revenge is known for. Artist Vincenzo Balzano has created lush European backdrops that include opulent VIP lounges, ornate libraries and sprawling mansions.
• Some fan favorite characters will make cameo appearances. Ted promises a "certain best friend" of Emily's will show up.
• You'll be able to get into Emily's head. Because of the comic book format, fans will be able to read what Emily is thinking in the moment. What is she planning? How is she manipulating this person? Readers will get a window into Emily's mind.
• Takeda will play a major role in the story.
Satoshi Takeda met his end in Season 2 of the show, but fans will be able to see him training a younger Amanda Clarke in the graphic novel.
What are you hoping to see in the Revenge comic? Marvel's original graphic novel Revenge: The Secret Origin of Emily Thorne, written by Erica Schultz with interior art by Vincenzo Balzano and cover art by Dustin Nguyen, will be available digitally and in print on Wednesday, September 3, 2014.