Still looking for that perfect gift for mom? Look no further, because Clinton’s got something that will make mom feel really special – a handmade card using pressed flowers. What You’ll Need:
-Pansies or phlox
NOTE: If you have pansies or phlox in your garden, then so far, you havent spent a penny! Home centers are full of inexpensive potted flowers this time of year. How to Make It:
1. Create a flower press. A press is a sandwich with layers of cardboard, paper and coffee filters between plates. When making this use your every day plates. Look at the bottom of your plate. There is most likely a rim, the plate is not completely flat. Cut the cardboard to fit within this rim.
2. Load up the press. To do this first put down a cut piece of cardboard in center of plate.
3. Add 2-3 coffee filters and piece of white paper. Coffee filters act as a cushion.
4. Then lay down the flowers. They may be face up or down, but lay is out as flatly as you can. The stems and leaves can be included, but works it better if you separate them from flower and put them back together later.
5. Top with a piece of white paper, a layer of coffee filters and cardboard.
6. Top this off with another plate.
7. Put in the microwave for 40 seconds.
8. Remove and undo “sandwich.”
NOTE: If flower is not being used immediately, it's best to leave it where it is. It can only get flatter and dryer.
9. Work out a design on paper by laying out your pressed flowers. With a small paintbrush, dab a layer of glue in the back of the flower and set in place.
10. Write a sweet message and give to your mom! You can also use these flowers to adorn a candle holder or a tray.