Watch How It's Made
Halloween is all about tricks, treats, and spooky decorations! Jazz up your holiday décor with these eerily easy floating ghosts. Display these adorable guys on your mantle, use as a table centerpiece, or hang them in your entryway to delight trick-or-treaters!
- Plastic 2 Liter Bottle
- Wire Hanger
- Wire Cutting Pliers
- White Craft Glue or Liquid Starch
- Black Felt
- Fabric Glue
1. Create a ghost form by wrapping a wire hanger around the neck of a bottle. Cut the hook off the hanger, bend the ends to protect the cloth, and wrap the center of the wire around the neck of the bottle.
2. Inflate the balloon to nearly the size of a softball. Attach the balloon to the neck of the bottle with 2 small pieces of scotch tape. Spray non-stick cooking spray lightly on the balloon so it retains its shape and won't stick to the cheesecloth.
3. Fill a bowl with concentrated liquid starch. Alternatively, you can also use a mixture of one part white glue and one part water. Immerse cheesecloth in the starch and then, remove and squeeze the excess liquid.
4. Open the cheesecloth completely and gently drape it over the bottle form. Let dry for a few hours or use a hair dryer to speed up the process.
5. Pop the balloon and watch it slowly deflate as it shrinks away from the cheesecloth. Gently remove the cheesecloth from the form. Expect the cheesecloth to be stuck to the bottle and wire hanger.
6. Cut eyes and mouth from felt, and glue the felt features on the ghost’s face using fabric glue, which dries clear.
7. Put the ghost in a standing position and adjust the fabric to stabilize. If you need to repair your ghost, set it back on the form, spray with liquid starch and let dry completely.