Mario Batali's Acorn Squash Ravioli in Sugo Finto
- For the Ravioli:
- 1 medium Acorn Squash (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano (plus more for serving)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated Nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- Kosher Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper to taste
- 1/2 recipe Basic Pasta Dough
For the Sugo Finto:
- 2 Garlic cloves (peeled)
- 1 medium Carrot (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 1 medium stalk Celery (roughly chopped)
- 1 medium Onion (peeled and quartered)
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Tomato Paste
- Flat-Leaf Parsley leaves to garnish
- For the Ravioli: Preheat oven to 400F. Cut acorn squash in half, and scoop out seeds and puncture a few times. Place in a baking dish and drizzle with olive oil. Roast in oven until soft, about 40 minutes to an hour. Allow to cool slightly, and then scoop into bowl. Add the extra virgin olive oil, parminigiano-reggiano, nutmeg, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly to combine.
- Divide the pasta dough into 4 equal portions and roll each out to the thinnest setting on a pasta machine. Lay 1 sheet of pasta on a work surface and use a pastry cutter to make 12 2- by 4-inch rectangles. Place 1 rounded teaspoon of the filling on one side of each rectangle and fold the dough in half to form a square. Press firmly around the edges to seal, brush with a little water if necessary. Continue with the remaining pasta and filling. These can be set aside on a baking tray, the layers separated by dish towels, and refrigerated, for up to 6 hours.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil, and season to taste like the sea. Drop the ravioli into the water and cook until it floats, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- For the Sugo Finto: In a food processor, combine the garlic, carrot, celery, and onion, and pulse until smooth.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, add olive oil and heat until shimmering. Add the vegetable puree to the pan, cooking 3 minutes, then adding the tomato paste. Mix well and cook 10 minutes. Add ravioli to pan and loosen the sauce with the ravioli cooking water to create a sauce consistency. Check seasoning and garnish with parsley to serve.