Winter Squash Soup
Mario Batali's Acorn Squash Soup
- Olive Oil
- 2 Acorn Squash (peeled; seeded and cut into large cubes)
- 1 Onion (diced)
- 2 Carrots (sliced)
- Chili Flakes
- freshly grated Nutmeg
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 Garlic cloves (minced)
- 5 cups Water (plus more if needed)
- Creme Fraiche
- Chives (minced)
- In a large heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat, add about 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the squash, onion, carrot, chili flakes, nutmeg, and season with a generous pinch of salt. Cook for 15 minutes or until the vegetables have broken down a bit and are soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for one minute longer. Add the water and bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes more.
- Blend the soup until smooth and creamy. Adjust seasoning.
- Serve with a drizzle of good olive oil, a dollop of creme fraiche and a sprinkle of chives.