Winter Squash Soup
Acorn Squash Soup
- 2 acorn squash (peeled, seeded and cut into large cubes)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 carrots (sliced)
- chili flakes (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 5 cups water (plus more if needed)
- creme fraiche (to serve)
- chives (minced, to serve)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- extra-virgin olive oil
- In a large heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat, add about 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the squash, onion, carrot, chili flakes, nutmeg, and season with a generous pinch of salt. Cook for 15 minutes or until the vegetables have broken down a bit and are soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for one minute longer. Add the water and bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes more.
- Blend the soup until smooth and creamy. Adjust seasoning.
- Serve with a drizzle of good olive oil, a dollop of creme fraiche and a sprinkle of chives.