Finish your meal with this dignified dessert!
Almond and Orange Cake with Candied Kumquats and Whipped Creme Fraiche
- 3/4 cup clementine puree
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons almond flour
- 135 grams eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces whole natural almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 5 ounces kumquats
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons water
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
Whipped Crème Fraîche:
- 1 1/3 cups creme fraîche
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- For the Clementine Puree:
- Place 3-4 clementines in a pot with enough water to cover. Simmer until tender. Puree in a food processor.
- For the Cake: Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk all ingredients together. Butter and sugar 4 ounce muffin tins. Fill each cup ¾ full and bake until the top is a deep golden brown, and a tester in the center of a cake comes out clean.
- For the Salted Almonds: Toast the almonds in a 325ºF oven until fragrant and lightly toasted. Roughly chop the almonds, and toss with the salt and olive oil. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- For the Candied Kumquats: Wash and trim the ends off of kumquats. slice the kumquats into 1/8-inch thick slices, picking out any seeds as you slice. Cook the sugar and water to a thick syrup in a wide shallow sauce pan. Add the sliced kumquats to syrup in a single layer, and then stir to coat. reduce the heat to low, and add the lemon juice. Simmer on very low until the kumquats are translucent, adding a touch of water if the syrup gets to thick. once the kumquats are translucent and the syrup is viscous, cool the kumquats in a container in an ice bath. Store refrigerated until ready to use.
- For the Whipped Creme Fraiche: Whip creme fraiche and heavy cream together until medium peak. Store refrigerated until ready to use.
- To Serve: Remove the cakes from the molds, and warm in an oven. Place one cake in the center of each plate. Divide the almonds between the cakes, placing a small pile of almonds on top of each cake, and letting a few pieces fall on to the plate. Place a slice or two of kumquats on top of each cake, and arrange the remaining kumquats and syrup around the cake. Place a quenelle of whipped creme fraiche on top of the almonds. Serve immediately.