Finish your meal with this dignified dessert!
Almond and Orange Cake with Candied Kumquats and Whipped Creme Fraiche
- For the Cake:
- 3/4 cup Clementine puree
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons Almond flour
- 135 grams (approximately 2 1/2) Whole eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
For the Salted Almonds:
- 2 ounce Whole natural almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil
For the Candied Kumquats:
- 5 ounce Kumquats
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoon Water
- 4 teaspoon Lemon juice
For the Whipped Creme Fraiche:
- 1 1/3 cup Creme Fraiche
- 3/4 cup Heavy cream
- For the Clementine Puree: Cook clementines in a pot with enough water to cover. Simmer until tender. Puree in a food processor.
- For the Cake: Whisk everything together.
- Butter and sugar 4 ounce muffin tins, and preheat the oven to 350F.
- Divide the batter between the prepared molds, fill each mold to ¾ full and bake until the top is a deep golden brown, and a tester in the center of a cake comes out clean.
- For the Salted Almonds: Toast the almonds in a 325 degree F oven until fragrant and lightly toasted, approximately 10-12 minutes.
- Roughly chop the almonds, and toss with the salt and olive oil. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- For the Candied Kumquats: Wash and trim the ends off of kumquats. slice the kumquats into 1/8th inch thick slices, picking out any seeds as you slice.
- Cook the sugar and water to a thick syrup in a wide shallow sauce pan. Add the sliced kumquats to syrup in a single layer, and then stir to coat. reduce the heat to low, and add the lemon juice.
- Simmer on very low until the kumquats are translucent, adding a touch of water if the syrup gets to thick. once the kumquats are translucent and the syrup is viscous, cool the kumquats in a container in an ice bath. Store refrigerated until ready to use.
- For the Whipped Creme Fraiche: Whip creme fraiche and heavy cream together until medium peak. Store refrigerated until ready to use.
- To Plate: Remove the cakes from the molds, and warm in an oven.
- Place one cake in the center of each plate. Divide the almonds between the cakes, placing a small pile of almonds on top of each cake, and letting a few pieces fall on to the plate. Place a slice or two of kumquats on top of each cake, and arrange the remaining kumquats and syrup around the cake. Place a quenelle of whipped creme fraiche on top of the almonds. Serve immediately.