- step-by-step directions
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces pancetta or good American bacon (finely diced)
- 1/2 red onion (finely diced)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 jalapeno (finely chopped)
- 1 package wonton wrappers or 1/2 recipe Basic Pasta Dough
- 1/4 cup butter (cubed)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano (to garnish)
- 3 tablespoons Italian parsley (finely chopped, to garnish)
- Combine the oil, pancetta, and onion in a large sauté pan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the pancetta is lightly browned and the onion is softened, about 7 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, jalapeno and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- If using pasta dough, divide the dough into 4 equal portions and roll each out to the thinnest setting on a pasta machine. Lay 1 sheet of pasta on a work surface and use a pastry cutter to make 3- by 3-inch squares.
- Place 1 rounded teaspoon of the filling on one side of each square and fold the dough in half to form a triangle Press firmly around the edges to seal, brush with a little water if necessary. Touch the corners of the triangles together to make pope's hats. Continue with the remaining wrappers and filling. These can be set aside on a baking tray, the layers separated by dish towels, and refrigerated, for up to 6 hours.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil, and season to taste like the sea. Drop the ravioli into the water and cook until it floats, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a saute pan over medium heat, melt the butter, and toss the ravioli in the butter and garnish with parsley and pecorino cheese. Loosen the sauce with pasta water, and serve.
1. If you don’t have pancetta or guanciale, then you can use bacon instead.
2. Make extra ravioli and freeze them for another night.
Chicken Kabobs with Greek Village Salad
Grilled Grouper with Key Lime Mango Salsa
Leftover Meat 'n' Potato Ravioli
Spicy Roasted Head of Cauliflower
Grilled Shrimp with Bacon Jam
Tropical Grilled Shrimp Salad
Capri-Style Vegetable Salad
Grilled Calamari Chopped Salad with Chickpeas, Olives & Salami
Grilled Swordfish With Mojo
Stephen Smith's Meaty Cheesy Lasagna
Fried Chicken Sandwich with Brussels Sprouts Slaw