Anise Cookies with Sugar Glaze
Lorri Tamburro's Anisette Christmas Cookies
- For the Cookies:
- 6 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 6 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 1/3 cups Butter (softened)
- 1 1/4 cups Sugar
- 6 Jumbo Eggs (beaten)
- 3/4 bottle Pure Anise Extract
For the Icing:
- 1 stick Margarine
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 bottle Pure Anise Extract
- 1 teaspoon Whole Milk
- Rainbow Nonpareils
- For the Cookies: Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Mix flour and baking powder together and set aside.
- In a mixer with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar. Then add the eggs and anise extract. Blend in flour mixture a little bit at a time.
- Take a 1-inch ice cream scoop or heaping tablespoon to scoop out dough. Roll into balls. Place 12 on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 14 minutes or until firm to touch. Put on rack to cool.
- For the Icing: Melt margarine in a pot over low heat. Add powdered sugar, anise extract and milk. Mix till smooth. Mixture should be a little thick, not runny. With a pastry brush, generously coat cookies with icing and sprinkle with nonpareils. Let dry for 3 to 5 hours. When coating cookies, make sure the icing falls into the cracks in the cookies. Serve with espresso.