Apple Pie with Cheddar Crumble
- 1/2 Pie Crust
- 2 tart apples (peeled, core, cut into 1/2-inch chunks)
- 1 sweetapple (peeled, core, cut into 1/2-inch chunks)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- pinch of salt
Cheddar Crumble Topping:
- 1/3 cup finely grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted cold butter (cubed)
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg plus 1 tablespoon water (whisked)
- turbinado sugar (to sprinkle)
- pinch of salt (to sprinkle)
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Combine the flour, sugars and spices in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the apples, lemon juice and zest, and salt to the dry mixture. Toss to coat and set aside.
- For the Cheddar Crumble Topping: In a medium bowl combine the flour and cheese and work together until incorporated. Add brown sugar, butter and pinch of salt and crumble together using your fingers, fork or pastry blender.
- Line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pie dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Place dough on the prepared baking sheet. Pour the apple mixture into the center of the dough and allow to mound. Sprinkle the crumble topping over the apples into an even layer. Fold the edges over the apples. Brush the pie dough with egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar and salt.
- Place in the oven to bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature before serving.