Apple Tarte Tatin
This famous French upside-down apple tarte is so tasty and easy to make! It will leave your belly full and your kitchen clean!
- step-by-step directions
Apple Tarte Tatin
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 vanilla bean scraped (substitute 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- 1 stick unsalted butter (cut into tablespoon-sized pieces)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 4-5 Granny Smith apples (peeled, cored, quartered)
- 2 cups mascarpone
- 1 package store-bought pie dough
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- In a 10-inch cast iron skillet, combine the sugar, apple cider, lemon juice, and seeds from the vanilla bean pod over high heat. Bring to a boil, and use a damp pastry brush to brush down sides if necessary. After about 6 to 7 minutes it will become a light brown color. Stir gently to promote even cooking, and allow it too cook until it becomes a deeper amber color. Remove the pan from the heat, and add the butter, two tablespoons at a time, stirring in to incorporate as the mixture bubbles. When it has all been incorporated, stir in the salt to incorporate.
- Arrange the apple pieces, rounded side down in the pan. Return the pan to the heat and cook over medium for another 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Roll out the pie dough and place over the top of the apples, cutting to size with a paring knife and tucking in the edges.
Place the cast iron skillet in the oven and bake until the crust is golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Allow to cool for about 20 minutes, and then place a platter over the crust and carefully flip it over, allowing the tart to gently fall from the pan.
- Serve the tart with a dollop of mascarpone on each slice.
Skirt Steak with Ginger Gold Apples
Mini Pumpkin Cheesecakes
Bruschetta with Ricotta and Pepita Gremolata
Fresh Veggie Frittata
Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches with Sauteed Peppers
Oven Roasted Salmon with Purple Cauliflower Puree and a Buttermilk Dill Slaw
Chicken Scallopini with Red Wine Mushroom Sauce
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Pesto Chicken Cauliflower Bowl
Fluke with Brown Butter and Lemon Sauce
Peach Slab Pie