Spicy Tomato Rice
Marcella Valladolid's Arroz Rojo
- 2 Plum Tomatoes (cored)
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup minced White Onion
- 2 Garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 cup Long-Grain Rice
- 1/4 cup canned Tomato Sauce
- 1 3/4 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Serrano Chile
- 1 sprig Cilantro
- Using a box grater, grate the tomato into a medium bowl.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a heavy skillet. Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the rice and cook until slightly toasted, about 3 minutes. Add grated tomato, tomato sauce, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Add the serrano, cilantro, and salt. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and keep covered for 8 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork, transfer to bowl, and serve.