Spicy Tomato Rice
- step-by-step directions
- 2 plum tomatoes (cored)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup minced white onion
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1/4 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 serrano chile
- 1 sprig cilantro
- Salt to taste
- Using a box grater, grate the tomato into a medium bowl.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a heavy skillet. Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the rice and cook until slightly toasted, about 3 minutes. Add grated tomato, tomato sauce, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Add the serrano, cilantro, and salt. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and keep covered for 8 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork, transfer to bowl, and serve.
The Garibaldi Wallbanger
Swiss Chard and Ricotta Bruschetta
Lobster Roll and Quick-Pickled Cucumber Salad
Spaghetti with Ramps and Pecorino
Black-Eyed Peas and Pimento Cheese Nachos
Pork with Gingered Plums
Spicy Fried Shrimp
Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding
Blackberry Ricotta Pizza
Flourless Chocolate Cake with Peanut Brittle