Arroz con Pollo
A fun dish for the whole family!
- step-by-step directions
Arroz con Pollo
- 2 Spanish onions (chopped)
- 2 Cubanelle peppers (chopped)
- 20 clovesgarlic
- 1 bunch of cilantro (plus more for garnish)
- 1/2 habanero pepper (seeded)
- 1 bell pepper (red or orange)
- 1 pound plum tomatoes (chopped)
- 3-4 pound Chicken (cut into 10 pieces)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sofrito (see recipe)
- 3 tablespoons green olives (pitted and sliced)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon groundcumin
- 1/2 teaspoon groundcloves
- 3 1/2 cups white rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the Sofrito: Combine ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth. Can be made 2-3 days in advance.
- For the Chicken: In a Dutch oven with a tight fitting lid, heat oil over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and place skin side down in pot in batches. Cook for about 10 minutes flipping after skin is crispy on first side. Remove chicken to a plate making sure to reserve drippings on plate. Repeat until all the chicken is crispy and golden.
- Turn heat to high and add sofrito to the pot. Stir while cooking to help evaporate excess liquid. Once dry add spices, olives and stir to combine.
- Add rice to the pot and stir to coat rice with pan drippings.
- Add chicken, reserved drippings and chicken stock to the pot. Liquid should cover rice by 1-2 inches. If needed add more stock or water to reach desired level. Bring to a boil and cook until liquid has reduced to just above rice.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 15-20 minutes. Rice should be cooked but still firm and chicken should reach 165ºF on an instant read thermometer.
- Garnish with additional chopped cilantro and serve in pot or platter.
rate this recipe
Foolproof Lemon Bars
Basic Roast Chicken
Herby Store Bought Tomato Sauce
Quick Tomato Sauce
Classic Tomato Sauce
Green Eggs and Ham Breakfast Crepe
Bologna Fried Rice
Kal's Spicy Salsa
Roasted Portobello Tacos with Cabbage Slaw and Smashed Avocado
Cheddar Chicken Enchilada Skillet
Carrot Cake Poppers