Mario Batali's Asparagus Milanese
Asparagus with Egg
Top tender asparagus stalks with a runny fried egg and a generous portion of grated Parmigiano-reggiano.
- 2 bunches Asparagus (trimmed)
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (divided)
- 5 large Eggs
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- Parmigiano-Reggiano for serving
- Juice of 2 Lemons
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Salt and freshly cracked Black Pepper
Mario's Asparagus Milanese - Part 1
Preheat a grillpan to medium-high heat.
2 bunches Asparagus (trimmed)
4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (divided)
Salt and freshly cracked Black Pepper
Toss the asparagus in 3 tablespoons olive oil, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Grill for about 3 minutes per side, the asparagus should be bright green and charred in spots.
2 tablespoons Butter
5 large Eggs
In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, add the butter and gently fry the eggs until just set, about 2 to 4 minutes.
Parmigiano-Reggiano for serving
Zest of 1 Lemon
Juice of 2 Lemons
Divide the asparagus among the plates, and top each with an egg. Shave Parmigiano-Reggiano on each serving. Grate the zest over the plates and squeeze lemon juice over each serving. Season with salt and coarsely ground black pepper.
1. When buying asparagus, look for firm, tight leaves at the top, and stems that don't look dried out.
2. Before cooking, snap off the bottom of the stem at the natural breaking point.
3. If grilling, place oil directly on the food rather than the grill.
4. For the fried eggs, cook in a pan on medium heat to avoid frizzled edges.