This fried, chewy, salty and delicious Italian dish is too good to pass up.
Aunt Jenny’s Spiedini
- For the Steak:
- 1 pound flank steak (sliced thin and pounded)
- 1 yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (chopped)
- 1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup Pecorino Romano (finely grated)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup raisins
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- oil for frying
For the Rice:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked rice (steamed or boiled per package instruction)
- 1 pint button or cremini mushrooms (sliced)
- 1/2 bag of frozen peas
- For the Steak: Season steak with salt and pepper. Cook steak on grill or griddle for 4-5 minutes per side, or until desired level of doneness.
- Slice steak with the grain so that it doesn't separate, no bigger than 1 1/2" X 2" (for appetizer portion) or 2 1/2" X 2 1/2" for an entree-sized portion. (You're slicing it off the top of the steak to achieve thin slices.)
- Sauté onions in olive oil until translucent. In a bowl, combine onion, raisins, pine nuts, parsley, bread crumbs and pecorino romano.
- Take each thin slice of beef and put 1 teaspoon (for appetizer size) or 1 tablespoon (for entree size) of onion filing inside. Roll, secure with toothpick.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees in a large dutch oven or heavy pot. Fry spedinis in oil 8-10 minutes, working in batches if necessary.
- For the Rice: Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Sauté sliced mushrooms in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. After a couple minutes add the frozen peas, cook until soft. Add cooked rice and stir to toss.
- Lay rice on a platter, lay speidini on top.