The Gulf of Mexico produces some of the world's best shrimp, making it a big part of Southern cuisine. This summer-friendly BBQ shrimp is mouth watering and filling.
- step-by-step directions
- 3 Lb Large Gulf Shrimp (in their shells)
- 2 Tablespoon Creole Seasoning (below)
- Cracked Black Pepper
- 2 Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Onions
- 2 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 3 Lemons (Peeled & Sectioned)
- 2 Cups Shrimp Stock
- 1/2 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 2 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Chives (Chopped)
- Grits or Polenta (optional)
- Creole Seasoning:
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Paprika
- 2 Tablespoon Salt
- 2 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Oregano
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Thyme
- Peel the shrimp, leaving only their tails attached. Reserve the shells and set aside to make shrimp stock by boiling shells in 2 cups of water.
- Create Creole seasoning.
- Sprinkle the shrimp with 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning and fresh cracked black pepper. Use you hands to coat the shrimp with the seasonings. Refrigerate the shrimp while you make the sauce base.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large pot over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the seasoned shrimp and saute them, occasionally shaking the skillet, for 2 minutes. Once cooked, remove shrimp from pan and set aside.
- Add the onions and garlic to pan and saute for 1 minute. Add the Worcestershire, shrimp stock, cream, wine, chives, butter and season with salt and pepper. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until the sauce is thick, syrupy and dark brown. Add shrimp to pan and toss to coat in the sauce.
- Serve shrimp on top of grits or polenta. Squeeze lemon sections over shrimp before serving.
The Garibaldi Wallbanger
Swiss Chard and Ricotta Bruschetta
Lobster Roll and Quick-Pickled Cucumber Salad
Spaghetti with Ramps and Pecorino
Black-Eyed Peas and Pimento Cheese Nachos
Pork with Gingered Plums
Spicy Fried Shrimp
Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding
Blackberry Ricotta Pizza
Flourless Chocolate Cake with Peanut Brittle
Peach and Sriracha Chicken Over Coconut Rice