The Gulf of Mexico produces some of the world's best shrimp, making it a big part of Southern cuisine. This summer-friendly BBQ shrimp is mouth watering and filling.
- step-by-step directions
- 3 Lb Large Gulf Shrimp (in their shells)
- 2 Tablespoon Creole Seasoning (below)
- Cracked Black Pepper
- 2 Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Onions
- 2 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 3 Lemons (Peeled & Sectioned)
- 2 Cups Shrimp Stock
- 1/2 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 2 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Chives (Chopped)
- Grits or Polenta (optional)
- Creole Seasoning:
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Paprika
- 2 Tablespoon Salt
- 2 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Oregano
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Thyme
- Peel the shrimp, leaving only their tails attached. Reserve the shells and set aside to make shrimp stock by boiling shells in 2 cups of water.
- Create Creole seasoning.
- Sprinkle the shrimp with 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning and fresh cracked black pepper. Use you hands to coat the shrimp with the seasonings. Refrigerate the shrimp while you make the sauce base.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large pot over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the seasoned shrimp and saute them, occasionally shaking the skillet, for 2 minutes. Once cooked, remove shrimp from pan and set aside.
- Add the onions and garlic to pan and saute for 1 minute. Add the Worcestershire, shrimp stock, cream, wine, chives, butter and season with salt and pepper. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until the sauce is thick, syrupy and dark brown. Add shrimp to pan and toss to coat in the sauce.
- Serve shrimp on top of grits or polenta. Squeeze lemon sections over shrimp before serving.
Peach Cobbler with Raspberry Coulis
Havarti and Horseradish Stovetop Mac and Cheese
Spicy Honey Dijon Coleslaw
Spice-Rubbed Smoked Chicken
Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken Meatballs
Banana Split Ice Cream Cupcake Bar
T-Bone Steak with Green Bean Salad
Ginger Cinnamon Funnel Cakes
Strawberry Malted Milkshake
Cheddar Pretzel Chicken with Spicy Corn Relish
Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers with Feta Bechamel