A new twist on a classic American sandwich!
Mario Batali's BLT and Celery Root Chips
- 5 hamburger buns
- 10 pieces cooked bacon (crisp)
- 2 ripe heirloom tomatoes (sliced in 1/2 inch rounds)
- 1 head of Bibb lettuce
For the Avocado Mayonnaise:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 limes (zest of one and juice of 2)
- water (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large avocados (pitted)
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
For the Celery Root Chips:
- 2 small celery roots (peeled)
- 3 quart Vegetable oil (for frying)
- For the Celery Root Chips: Heat oil over medium-high heat until the temperature reaches 360-375 degrees F.
- Cut celery root in half and then mandoline into thin slices. You can also substitute sweet potatoes, squash, zucchini, turnips or beets for other chip options.
- Fry until crisp, then remove with a slotted utensil and drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Season immediately with salt.
- For the Avocado Mayonnaise: Make the avocado mayonnaise. First, in a small mixing bowl, add the yolk, a pinch of salt the hot sauce. Slowly dribble in the olive oil, whisking continuously. Once the emulsion is thick and creamy, season with lime juice, salt and pepper. Loosen with water if too thick.
- Mash the avocado and add five tablespoons of the mayonnaise to the mixture. Readjust seasoning with more hot sauce, lime juice and salt and pepper if desired. Reserve the extra mayonnaise for other uses.
- Make the BLT by toasting the bread and smearing with 1-2 tablespoons of avocado mayonnaise per sandwich. Layer with lettuce, tomatoes, and bacon.
- Serve each sandwich with a handful of chips.