Carla Hall's Bacon Butternut Squash Soup
- 1/4 pound Bacon (chopped)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Butternut Squash (1/4-inch cube)
- 1 Yellow Onion (diced)
- 1 cup Red Cabbage (shredded)
- 4 cups Chicken Stock
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 Baguette (1/2-inch cube)
- 1/4 cup Pear (very finely diced)
- 1/4 cup Aged White Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- 1/4 cup Parsley (chopped)
- In a large dutch oven over medium heat, add a few tablespoons of olive oil. Add the bacon and crisp, allowing the fat to render. Once bacon has crisped, add the butternut squash, onion, and cabbage. Saute over medium until squash and cabbage has softened, about 10 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a boil, season and simmer for 20 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Meanwhile in another skillet, add a few tablespoons of olive oil and over medium-high heat, crisp the bread. Drain to paper towel lined plate.
- In a small bowl, toss together the pear, cheddar, and parsley.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with crisped bread and the pear-cheddar garnish.