Bacon-Wrapped Hot Dogs
Michael Symon's Bacon Fried Stuffed Hot Dogs
- Peanut or Vegetable Oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 1 large Spanish Onion (sliced thinly)
- 6 Hot Dogs (your favorite kind)
- 6 slices American Cheese (cut in half)
- 6 slices of Bacon
- 12 Toothpicks
- 6 Hot Dog Buns
- Shasha Sauce
- Coleslaw to serve
- Pickled Peppers to serve
- French Fries to serve
- Mayonnaise to serve
- Preheat your oil to 350 degrees. Place a large sauté pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the butter along with the onions and a good pinch of salt. Toss to evenly coat the onions with the butter then cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are golden brown and caramelized, about 12 minutes.
- In the meantime, split the hot dogs in half lengthwise, not cutting them all the way through. Overlap two halves of American cheese down the length of the hot dog then put them back together. Lay out a slice of bacon. At one end of the hot dog, secure the end of the piece of bacon with a toothpick. Wrap the bacon around the entire hot dog, securing the other end with another toothpick. Repeat with the remaining hot dogs.
- Fry the hot dogs, being careful not to overcrowd the oil, until the bacon is nice and crispy, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove to paper towels or a draining rack and remove the toothpicks. Place the hot dogs in the buns and top with some caramelized onion and shasha sauce. Top with any of your favorite condiments to serve.