Can't decide if you want eggs or pancakes? Have both with this dish.
Bacon Pancakes with Baked Tomatoes
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
- 6 pieces bacon (cook and fat reserved)
Spicy Maple Syrup:
- 2 cups maple syrup
- hot sauce (to taste)
- 3 on-vine tomatoes (halved)
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup parsley (minced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Poached Eggs:
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 quart water
- For the Bacon Pancakes: Sift together the dry ingredients. Whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and butter. Add the dry mixture to the wet and stir to combine. Add chopped bacon and mix in.
- Add some of the reserved bacon fat to a skillet over medium low heat and ladle some of the pancake batter into the pan. Flip the pancakes when they begin to bubble around the edges. Cook for another 2 minutes and remove to a platter. Cover to keep warm.
- For the Spicy Maple Syrup: Combine the maple syrup and the hot sauce in a small sauce pan over medium low heat and serve with the pancakes.
- For the Baked Tomatoes: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place tomatoes on a baking sheet and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the breadcrumbs, garlic, parsley, and half the olive oil in a large bowl and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top each tomato with the breadcrumb mixture. Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the to and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- For the Poached Eggs: Bring the water to a simmer in a wide, low sided pan and add the vinegar. gently add eggs in two batches. cook for about 3 minutes until just set. remove with a slotted spoon and blot on a towel. serve with baked tomatoes and bacon pancakes.