Make this delicious dessert for your next get together!
- step-by-step directions
- 1/3 cup sifted flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teapsoon salt
- 2 eggs separated (reserve 1 yolk and both whites at room temperature)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar (plus extra for sprinkling)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 4 teaspoons boiling water
- 2 teaspoon fresh orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 8 large egg whites (room temperature)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 pints store bought coffee flavored ice cream
- TO MAKE THE CAKE: Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Butter & flour the bottom of a 10-inch round cake pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper; butter the paper.
- Sift the flour together with the baking powder and salt, set aside. Beat the egg yolk until very light, several minutes.
- Add the sugar and the orange zest to the egg yolk and beat until well combined. Add the boiling water and beat for 1 minute. Beat in the orange juice and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and beat until just combined.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the two egg whites on low speed until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and beat on medium. When the egg whites are opaque, increase the speed to high and beat until stiff but not dry. Stir one quarter of the beaten egg whites into the batter. Pour the lightened batter over the egg whites and fold until just combined.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Smooth the top with a spatula and bake in the center of the oven until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean and the cake springs back when gently pressed, 15-20 minutes. Cool upside down on a wire rack. When completely cool, loosen the sides of the cake with a small knife, turn the cake onto your hand and then invert it back onto the rack or an ovenproof serving platter if using immediately. Wrapped well, the cake may be made ahead and refrigerated for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 4 weeks.
- TIP: OR you can purchase a vanilla cake mix and follow box instructions.
- Once cake is done, wrap well and freeze until it gets very hard.
- Using a smaller round metal bowl (about 8-9 inches), add coffee ice cream and freeze. After ice cream is completely frozen, dip the metal bowl in hot water for 15 seconds. Drizzle dark rum over cake layer, then invert the ice cream on the cake and put it back in the freezer, covered.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat the egg whites and salt on low speed until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Beating constantly, add the superfine sugar in a slow, steady stream. Add the vanilla and beat on high speed until the egg whites are very stiff. Set aside for no longer than 10 minutes, just while you prepare the ice cream.
- Preheat the oven to its highest degree (450-500). Place the cake on a cookie sheet layered with brown craft paper (or parchment paper). Place the ice cream on top of the cake, making sure the cake border is even all around the ice cream. Using a spatula, decoratively swirl all the meringue over the cake and ice cream, running the meringue down the platter, work quickly as the ice cream must remain very cold and hard. Make sure the cake and ice cream are completely sealed in by the meringue. Sprinkle with some granulated sugar. Immediately place the platter in the upper third of the oven. Cook until lightly browned, 1-3 minutes, watching carefully. Serve immediately, before ice cream melts.
- After the dessert is removed from the oven, spoon 2 additional teaspoons of liqueur in an eggshell you’ve half nestled into the meringue before baking. Ignite liqueur with long kitchen match.
rate this recipe
Broccoli Cheddar Oatmeal Bake
Roasted Chicken and Pimento Mac and Cheese
Fried Chocolate Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries
Stout Ice cream
Foolproof Lemon Bars
Basic Roast Chicken
Herby Store Bought Tomato Sauce
Quick Tomato Sauce
Classic Tomato Sauce
Green Eggs and Ham Breakfast Crepe
Bologna Fried Rice