It's spring and that means fresh asparagus and spring onions. Combine these ingredients with tortellini and you've got a dish your family will love.
Baked Tortellini with Spring Onions and Asparagus
- 5 tablespoon Butter
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 3 cup Milk
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg (freshly grated)
- 1 cup Marzolino Cheese (grated)
- 2 packages Store-bought Tortellini
- Parmigiano Reggiano (to garnish)
- 1/2 cup Blanched Asparagus (shaved)
- 1/4 cup spring onions (thinly sliced)
- Olive Oil
- In a medium saucepan, heat the butter until melted. Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Cook over medium heat until golden brown, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- In a separate pan, heat the milk until just about to boil. Slowly add the milk and marzolino to the butter mixture, whisking continuously until very smooth and bring to a boil. Cook 30 seconds longer and remove from the heat. Season with salt and nutmeg.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large mixing bowl add cooked tortellini. Pour in balsamella sauce, onions and asparagus and mix until pasta is coated.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon of olive oil around bottom and sides of a 9x9 casserole dish. Pour the tortellini in the casserole dish. Grate parmigiano reggiano over the tortellini and transfer to oven.
- Bake until bubbling and golden brown, about 20 minutes. Take casserole out of the oven and allow to rest for 20 minutes.