Use this tomato sauce as the base for a countless number of pasta, meat, or pizza dishes.
Basic Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Spanish Onion (chopped into 1/4-inch dice)
- 4 Garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh Thyme (or 1 tablespoon thyme)
- 1/2 medium Carrots (finely shredded)
- 2 28- ounce cans peeled Whole Tomatoes (crushed by hand and juices reserved)
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft and light golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the thyme and carrot and cook 5 minutes more, until the carrot is soft.
- Add the tomatoes and juice and bring to a boil, stirring often. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt. This sauce can be refrigerated for 1 week or frozen for 6 months.