A classic Italian dish!
Mario Batali's Bean and Pasta Soup (Pasta e Fagioli)
- 2 tablespoons pork fatback (cut into small cubes)
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped italian parsley (plus more for garnish)
- 1 medium spanish onion (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups cooked barlotti beans or kidney beans (rinsed and drained if canned)
- 2 cups dried pasta scraps from making fresh pasta (or broken dried fettucini)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Parmigiano (for garnish)
- In a Dutch oven, heat the pork fat and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over high heat until almost smoking. Add the parsley and onion and cook, stirring, until the onion is browned and soft, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, reduce the heat to medium, and cook for 10 minutes. Add the chicken stock and beans and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the pasta and simmer for 10 more minutes. Remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper, and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the soup among six serving bowls, drizzle with the remaining olive oil, garnish with parsley and grated Parmigiano, and serve.