Michael's beanless chili tastes great on top of ballpark favorites, like nachos and hot dogs!
- step-by-step directions
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions (diced)
- 3 pasilla peppers (seeded and diced)
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 3 pounds beef chuck (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 2 tablepsoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cans whole, peeled, San Marzano tomatoes (28 ounces each, crushed by hand)
- 1 bottle dark lager
- 2 tablepsoons chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (diced)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- queso fresco (crumbled, to garnish)
- cilantro (chopped, to garnish)
- lime wedges (to serve)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Place a large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Add 3 tablespoons olive oil. Once hot, add the onions, pasilla peppers and red pepper flakes. Saute until the onions begin to caramelize, about 10 minutes.
- Pat the beef dry and season with salt and pepper. Add it to the pot and cook, stirring frequently, until it has browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Add oregano, paprika, coriander, cumin, chili powder, garlic, cinnamon stick, tomatoes, beer and chipotle (add as little as one teaspoon to the whole can depending on how hot you’d like your chili).
- Bring the pot to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Remove the meat and shred it with a fork.
- Return it to the pot, and cook for another 10 minutes, uncovered, to thicken. Right before you are ready to serve add the red wine vinegar to the pot and stir. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve with the queso fresco, cilantro, and lime for garnish.
rate this recipe
Toasted Almond Bons
Chopped Cheese Sandwich
Sweet and Spicy Lemonade Grilled Chicken
Cherry Pink Lemonade
Dutch-Oven Peach Cobbler
Cedar Plank Halibut with Corn Salad
Wedge Salad with Creamy Blue Cheese and Blue Cheese Vinaigrette
Crunchy Vegetable Salad with Pomegranate Dressing
Pork Tenderloin with Apricot Dipping Sauce
Vegan Spinach and Artichoke Dip Triangles
Sunday Lamb Roast with Paloise Sauce