Dried Steak Strips
Michael Symon's Beef Jerky
- 2 pounds Eye of Round (all fat removed)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Kosher Salt
- 2 teaspoons Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne
- 1 teaspoon Chipotle Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- Cut the beef into strips, 1/2"x1/2" and 6 inches long. You want to cut the beef with the grain for this process. During the cooking process, the beef will lose a lot of water weight, and it will shrink significantly and reduce in size. If it seems like it is cut too thick, it is more than likely the correct size!
- Combine all of the rest of the ingredients and season the beef aggressively with it (you will use all of the seasoning). Refrigerate, covered for 24 hours or put in a plastic gallon sized bag.
- Place the strips on a baking rack lined with a sheet tray. You want nice even space surrounding the strips as they should not be touching or over lapping. This will allow for even drying. Place in a 250 degree oven for 4 to 5 hours or until fairly dry but still chewy. Store the jerky in an airtight container at room temperature. It will last for several months.
Similar categories: Appetizers, Starters & Snacks