Grilled Sirloin Kabobs
Beef Skewers with Cilantro Pesto
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound beef sirloin (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cloves garlic (roughly chopped)
- 1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Soak several 6 or 8-inch wooden skewers in cold water for 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of olive oil, coriander, and red pepper flakes. Season the beef with salt and black pepper. Add the beef pieces to the marinade and toss to coat. Divide the beef into 8 portions and thread the meat onto each of the 8 skewers. Place the beef skewers on the grill, cover, and cook for 3 minutes. Flip the beef and cook until the meat is well caramelized, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor, combine the cilantro, garlic, hazelnuts, parmesan, and 1/2 a cup of extra-virgin olive oil. Process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove the skewers to a serving platter. Drizzle with some of the cilantro pesto and serve the rest on the side in a serving bowl. Serve immediately.
- Helpful Tips:
1. For the marinade, toast the coriander seeds for a deeper flavor.
2. You can make cilantro pesto ahead of time and keep individual servings by freezing it in an ice cube tray.