Beef Stew with Beer
What could be better than a succulent beef stew with a hint of stout beer?
- step-by-step directions
Beef Stew with Beer
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds chuck roast (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- all-purpose flour (for dredging)
- 1/2 pound slab bacon (cut into 1/2-inch x 1 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 red onion (medium dice)
- 2 carrots (cut 1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 stalks celery (cut 1/2-inch pieces)
- 8 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 can stout beer (12 ounces)
- 3 cups beef stock
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- sour cream (to serve)
- parsley (chopped, to serve)
- cheddar cheese (grated, to serve)
- Place a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Add 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil. Meanwhile, season the meat with salt and pepper and dredge in flour. Shake off the excess flour and working in batches, add the meat to the hot oil. Cooking for 10- 12 minutes, until deep golden brown on all sides.
- Add the bacon and stir to combine. Add the onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms and garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, until vegetables are translucent.
- Meanwhile, tie the herbs together with kitchen twine, and add to the pot. Add the stout and stock, and bring to a boil, scraping the bottom of the pan. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover the pan with a tight fitting lid. Cook until the chuck is tender (about 1 1/2 to 2 hours). Discard the herb bundle. Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve stew with a dollop of sour cream, a pinch of of parsley and some cheddar cheese.
Similar categories: Ingredients Vegetables Beef Courses & Meals Dinner Lunch Holidays & Occasions St. Patrick's Day
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat
Waffle Pies with Herbed Eggs
Chai Tea Oatmeal