Braised Short Ribs
Mario Batali's Beer Braised Short Ribs
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 pounds Bone-In Beef Short Ribs (cut into eight pieces)
- Kosher Salt and freshly ground Pepper
- 2 Carrots (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 1 Onion (roughly chopped)
- 2 Celery Stalks (roughly chopped)
- 2 Garlic cloves (smashed)
- 1 full bodied Beer
- 2 cups Basic Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1/2 bunch Thyme
- 1/2 bunch Rosemary
- 1/2 bunch Oregano
- Preheat oven to 275F. Season the short ribs generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat a dutch oven over high heat. Add a few tablespoons olive oil and once smoking, add the short ribs and deeply sear on all sides. Remove from pan and drain fat from pan. Reduce heat to medium-high. Add a splash more olive oil and add the carrots, onion and celery and brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute. Deglaze the pan with the beer, scraping with a wooden spoon to remove the brown bits. Reduce the beer by half and then add the tomato sauce and chicken stock. Add the short ribs back to the pan along with the thyme, rosemary, and oregano.
- Bring the liquid back up to a boil. Cover with lid or aluminum foil and transfer to oven, cooking for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until meat is falling off of the bone. Check seasoning and allow to cool slightly before serving.
Similar categories: Dinner