Braised Short Ribs
Mario Batali's Beer Braised Short Ribs
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs (cut into eight pieces)
- 2 carrots (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 1 onion (roughly chopped)
- 2 celery stalks (roughly chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and smashed)
- 1 full bodied beer
- 2 Cups Basic Tomato Sauce
- 1 Cup chicken stock
- 1/2 bunch thyme
- 1/2 bunch rosemary
- 1/2 bunch oregano Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 275ºF.
- Season the short ribs generously with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat a Dutch oven over high heat. Add 3 tablespoons olive oil until smoking. Add the short ribs and deeply sear on all sides. Remove from pan and drain fat from pan. Reduce heat to medium-high. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, carrots, onion and celery and brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute. Deglaze the pan with the beer, scraping with a wooden spoon to remove the brown bits. Reduce the beer by half and then add the tomato sauce and chicken stock. Add the short ribs back to the pan along with the thyme, rosemary, and oregano.
- Bring the liquid to a boil. Cover with lid or aluminum foil and transfer to oven, cook for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until meat is falling off of the bone. Season with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper and allow to cool slightly before serving.