Beer Can Chicken
Try this handy technique for roasting a whole chicken on the grill.
- step-by-step directions
Beer Can Chicken
- 3-4 pound Whole Chicken
- 1 12- ounce can Light Beer
- Olive Oil
- For the Dry Rub:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dried Oregano
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Garlic Salt
- 1 tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Coriander (toasted and ground)
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- In a small bowl, mix together the oregano, garlic salt, smoked paprika, coriander, black pepper and salt.
- Clean out the cavity of your chicken then squeeze the lemon juice all over the outside and inside of the chicken. Rub the prepared seasoning mixture over the entire bird, sprinkling excess seasoning inside the cavity. Refrigerate for 3 hours, or overnight. Preheat one side of grill while keeping grill cover down.
- Pour out 1/3 of the beer (reserving if desired). Place the chicken on top of the can, legs down. Place chicken on the cooler side of the grill and lover the cover. Allow to cook for 1 - 1 1/2 hrs or until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 160 F.
- Remove from heat and allow to rest for 10 minutes before removing from can and cutting up to serve.
- Alternatively, preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Pour 1/3 of the first beer in to the bottom of a 13x9 pan. Place the chicken on top of the can, legs down. Open the second beer and pour half of it in to the bottom of the pan and reserve the other half. Bake for 45 minutes, and then pour the remaining beer over the chicken and in to the bottom of the pan.
- Continue to bake for an additional 45 minutes, or until juices run clear and internal temperature by the leg reads 160ºF.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, carefully remove the beer can and then tent with a piece of foil. Rest for at least 10 minutes, then slice and enjoy.
Herbed Asparagus Frittata with Pea Shoot Salad
Striped Bass with Endive and Spring Onions
Pea Pesto Pasta
Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee
Poule au Pot
Braised Lamb with Spring Vegetables
Peas and Carrots with Polenta
Asparagus & Cheese Tart
Spinach & Artichoke Puffs
Roast Chicken with Lemon-Sage Pan Sauce