Earthy beets transform traditional potato pancakes into a colorful creation.
Beet Potato Pancakes
- 2 large beets (peeled)
- 1 medium yellow onions
- 2 medium Russet potatoes (peeled)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 scallions (chopped plus more to garnish)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (plus more as needed)
Horseradish Sour Cream:
- 1 Cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons horseradish (freshly grated)
- 2 teasopons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon scallions (chopped)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Grate beets and onions onto a clean kitchen towel. Wring out excess liquid and place in a large mixing bowl. Crack egg into bowl. Rinse the grater and then grate the potato onto a clean kitchen towel. Wring out excess liquid and place in the bowl with the beet and onions. In a medium bowl, whisk together the baking powder, flour, salt and pepper. Add to the beet and onions, potatoes, scallions and mix to evenly distribute.
- Place a large sauté pan over medium and add oil. Using a tablespoon, spoon beet mixture into the pan making sure not to over crowd the pan. Using the back of the spoon press the mixture in the pan to flatten slightly. Cook for 2 minutes or until crispy on the first side and then flip to continue cooking. Once crispy on both sides, remove to a paper towel-lined plate. Continue to cook remaining beet mix, cleaning pan to remove burnt bits and adding oil as needed. Serve the pancakes with a dollop of the horseradish sour cream and a sprinkling of scallions and more freshly grated horseradish. Serve Beet Potato Pancakes with Horseradish Sour Cream.
- For Horseradish Sour Cream: In a medium bowl, add sour cream, horseradish Dijon mustard and scallions. Mix to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Helpful Tips:
1. For every two pounds of grated potatoes and beets, use one pound of shredded onions.
2. Ring out the excess liquid in the potato/beet mixture for a crunchier pancake. Use the excess liquid in the sauce or in a Bloody Mary!
3. Be careful when handling the beets as they stain easily.