Earthy beets transform traditional potato pancakes into a colorful creation.
Beet and Potato Pancake
- 2 Large Beets (peeled)
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion
- 2 Medium Russet Potatos (peeled)
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
- 2 Scallions (chopped plus more to garnish)
- 4 tablespoons Butter or Olive Oil (plus more as needed)
- For the Horseradish Sour Cream:
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Horseradish
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped Scallions
- Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
- Grate beets and onions onto a clean kitchen towel. Wring out excess liquid and place in a large mixing bowl. Crack egg into bowl.
- Rinse the grater and then grate the potatos onto a clean kitchen towel. Wring out excess liquid and place in the bowl with the beet and onions.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the baking powder, flour, salt and pepper. Add to the beet and onions, potatoes, scallions and mix to evenly distribute.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium and melt butter until foam subsides. Using a table spoon, spoon beet mixture into the pan making sure not to over crowd the pan. Using the back of the spoon press the mixture in the pan to flatten slightly. Cook for 2 minutes or until crispy on the first side and then flip to continue cooking. Once crispy on both sides, remove to a paper towel-lined plate. Continue to cook remaining beet mix, cleaning pan to remove burnt bits and adding butter or oil as needed.
- Serve the pancakes with a dollop of the horseradish sour cream and a sprinkling of scallions and more freshly grated horseradish. Serve with Horseradish Sour Cream.
- For the Horseradish Sour Cream: Mix together the ingredients in a bowl and adjust seasoning to taste.