Big Apple Pizza
Big Apple pizza taken literally! Cover your daily fruit servings with this unique take on a classic New York staple!
- step-by-step directions
Big Apple Pizza
- For the Dough:
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup warm water (less than 100º F)
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
For the Blue Cheese Sauce:
- 1/2 cup whole milk (plus 1/4 to thin sauce in case it's too thick)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 small Spanish onion (finely chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 pound crumbled blue cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3-4 Granny smith apples (peeled and cut into 1/8-inch slices)
- 6 strips bacon
- For the Dough: Proof the yeast by adding it and the sugar to the warm water for about 10 minutes. You should see the yeast foam up.
- Add salt, oil and flour, stirring with a spoon until it can be turned out onto the counter and kneaded. Adding additional dough, if needed, knead for about 10 mins. Form the dough into a ball and place in a large, oiled bowl. Coat the top with oil and allow it to rest, covered with a towel, for about 2 hours in a warm place. NOTE: The easiest way to make the dough is to combine the ingredients in a bread maker and use the dough setting (about 1.5 hours). This recipe makes enough dough for 2 thin-crust pizzas or 1 thicker-crust pizza.
- For the Blue Cheese Sauce: Sauté butter with onions until translucent.
- Warm milk to a simmer in a separate pot.
- When the onions are translucent add the flour to the butter/onion mixture and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in the simmering milk. Add salt to taste. Continue whisking until the sauce starts to thicken, then cook for additional 3-5 minutes to allow it thicken more. Remove from heat and whisk in the blue cheese.
- To Assemble: Roll the dough out in a large rectangle and place on a pizza pallette with cornmeal to help it not stick.
- Add the blue cheese sauce to the dough, spreading a generous layer almost to the edges of the pizza.
- Cover the sauce with the grated cheddar cheese and then the apples. If desired, fry strips of bacon until crisp, crumble, and sprinkle over top of pizza.
- Slide the pizza onto the pizza stone or cookie sheet in a 450º oven (preheat either baking dish in oven.) For a soft crust bake for 10-12 minutes. For a crispier crust bake for 12-15 minutes.