Big Apple Pizza
Big Apple pizza taken literally! Cover your daily fruit servings with this unique take on a classic New York staple!
- step-by-step directions
Big Apple Pizza
- For the Dough:
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup warm water (less than 100º F)
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
For the Blue Cheese Sauce:
- 1/2 cup whole milk (plus 1/4 to thin sauce in case it's too thick)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 small Spanish onion (finely chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 pound crumbled blue cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3-4 Granny smith apples (peeled and cut into 1/8-inch slices)
- 6 strips bacon
- For the Dough: Proof the yeast by adding it and the sugar to the warm water for about 10 minutes. You should see the yeast foam up.
- Add salt, oil and flour, stirring with a spoon until it can be turned out onto the counter and kneaded. Adding additional dough, if needed, knead for about 10 mins. Form the dough into a ball and place in a large, oiled bowl. Coat the top with oil and allow it to rest, covered with a towel, for about 2 hours in a warm place. NOTE: The easiest way to make the dough is to combine the ingredients in a bread maker and use the dough setting (about 1.5 hours). This recipe makes enough dough for 2 thin-crust pizzas or 1 thicker-crust pizza.
- For the Blue Cheese Sauce: Sauté butter with onions until translucent.
- Warm milk to a simmer in a separate pot.
- When the onions are translucent add the flour to the butter/onion mixture and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in the simmering milk. Add salt to taste. Continue whisking until the sauce starts to thicken, then cook for additional 3-5 minutes to allow it thicken more. Remove from heat and whisk in the blue cheese.
- To Assemble: Roll the dough out in a large rectangle and place on a pizza pallette with cornmeal to help it not stick.
- Add the blue cheese sauce to the dough, spreading a generous layer almost to the edges of the pizza.
- Cover the sauce with the grated cheddar cheese and then the apples. If desired, fry strips of bacon until crisp, crumble, and sprinkle over top of pizza.
- Slide the pizza onto the pizza stone or cookie sheet in a 450º oven (preheat either baking dish in oven.) For a soft crust bake for 10-12 minutes. For a crispier crust bake for 12-15 minutes.
Hot Italian Sausage Sandwich
Cleveland Baked Beans
Grilled German Potato Salad
Roasted Chicken with Boozy BBQ Sauce
Pea Pesto Pasta
Herbed Asparagus Frittata with Pea Shoot Salad
Striped Bass with Endive and Spring Onions
Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee
Poule au Pot
Braised Lamb with Spring Vegetables