Strawberries and Cream
Biscuits and Berries
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (plus more for bench flour)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter (chilled and thinly sliced into pats)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (chilled)
- 2/3 cup milk (chilled)
- 1 pound strawberries (thinly sliced)
- 1 lemon (juice)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy cream (chilled)
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar (plus more to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, sugar, lemon zest and salt, and whisk to combine. Add butter and cut in using your finger tips or a pastry cutter, until the butter is the size of peas.
- In a medium bowl, add yogurt and milk, and stir to combine. Add the yogurt mixture to the flour mixture and stir to combine. Add flour as needed but dough should still be moderately sticky.
- Using a 3-ounce ice cream scoop, drop balls of dough into a small bowl of bench flour one at a time. working with your hands, loosely shape the dusted ball and place on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough spacing about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until light golden brown on top. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- To serve, split the biscuits with a serrated knife. Top with strawberries, sweetened whipped cream and a dusting of powdered sugar.
- For the Strawberries: In a medium bowl, add the berries, lemon juice and sugar. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- For the Whipped Cream: Whisk the heavy cream in a chilled bowl until foamy. Sprinkle in the sugar and continue to whip until soft peaks form.
- Helpful Tips:
1. Rather than sifting your flour, mix the dry ingredients with a whisk to break up any flour lumps.
2. Make sure the biscuit dough is wet enough so that it will create steam while baking, resulting in light, flakey biscuits.