Strawberries and Cream
Carla Hall's Biscuits and Berries
- For the Drop Biscuits:
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour (plus more for bench flour)
- 4 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 5 tablespoons Butter (cut into pats)
- 1/2 cup Plain Yogurt
- 2/3 cup Milk
For the Berries:
- 1 pound Strawberries (thinly sliced)
- juice of a Lemon
- 1 teaspoon Sugar (optional)
For the Whipped Cream:
- 3/4 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 tablespoon Powdered Sugar (plus more to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- For the Drop Biscuits: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, lemon zest and salt. Add the pats of butter and cut in using your hands or a pastry blender. Combine until the butter is blended and the mixture is crumbly. In a medium bowl, stir together the yogurt and milk. Pour into the flour mixture and work together until incorporated. Add flour as needed but dough should still be moderately sticky.
- Using a 3-ounce ice cream scoop, drop balls of dough into a small bowl of bench flour one at a time. Working with your hands, loosely shape the dusted ball and place on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough spacing about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Cut into top and bottom halves with a serrated knife. Place strawberries in between the halves. Serve with a large dollop of sweetened whipped cream and a dusting of powdered sugar.
- For the Berries: Toss together berries with the juice of a lemon and sugar. Allow to sit while preparing the biscuits.
- For the Whipped Cream: Whisk the heavy cream in a chilled bowl until foamy. Sprinkle in the sugar and continue to whip until medium peaks form. Whip for 15 more seconds. Re-whip when ready to serve.