Mario Batali and his family challenged themselves to live off $124 a week for a family of four, which is the amount of food stamps that are provided to a family of that size. One of the results? This delicious, and inexpensive, breakfast.
Black Bean and Egg Tacos
- 1 can black beans (drained & rinsed)
- 4-6 eggs (beaten)
- 1 bunch scallions (thinly sliced, greens and whites separated)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil hot sauce (to taste)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 12 corn tortillas (warmed)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- In a large mixing bowl, add black beans, eggs, scallion whites and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Add oil to a skillet and place over medium-high heat. Add the bean and egg mixture. Using a rubber spatula, stir and cook until the eggs are softly scrambled. Remove from heat. Add a couple dashes of hot sauce and the cheese. Stir to melt the cheese.
- Divide the egg and bean mixture evenly among the warmed tortillas. Garnish with scallion greens and serve.