Mario Batali and his family challenged themselves to live off $124 a week for a family of four, which is the amount of food stamps that are provided to a family of that size. One of the results? This delicious, and inexpensive, breakfast.
Black Bean and Egg Tacos
- 1 can Black Beans (drained)
- 1 bunch Scallions
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Freshly Ground Pepper
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Hot Sauce
- 12 Fresh Corn Tortillas (warmed)
- Slice the scallions, keeping the greens and whites separate.
- In a large mixing bowl combine black beans, eggs, scallion whites and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- In a skillet over medium high heat, add the olive oil and once hot, add the bean and egg mixture..
- Continue stirring as eggs cook. Add a couple dashes of hot sauce, to taste, and the cheese. Cook until cheese has just melted.
- Warm tortillas on griddle. Divide the egg and bean mixture evenly among the tortillas, topping with the scallion greens to serve.