Lose the meat and fill your tacos with a hefty portion of black beans.
Black Bean Tacos with Tangy Cabbage
- 8 6- inch Corn or Whole Wheat Tortillas
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 cups Cooked Black Beans (drained)
- 1 tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Salt (plus more to taste)
- Black Pepper to taste
- 4 cups shredded Green Cabbage
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (chopped)
- 1 Jalapeno or Serrano Chile (minced)
- 1/4 cup chopped Scallions
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 cup chopped Fresh Cilantro
- Heat the oven to 400ºF. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Stack the tortillas and wrap them in aluminum foil. Combine the beans, garlic, chili powder, cumin, half the salt, and some pepper in a bowl. Mash the mixture with a fork or potato masher; it should still be chunky.
- Spread the mixture out on the prepared pan, drizzle with another tablespoon of oil, and roast, stirring a few times, until the beans are crumbly and crisp in places, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer the tortillas to the oven with the beans for their last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Meanwhile, put the cabbage, pepper, chile, scallions, lime juice, cilantro, remaining tablespoon oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and some pepper in a large bowl and toss to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Divide the beans among the warm tortillas; top with the cabbage and serve.