Gina Neely shares her Texas Caviar, which is a black eyed pea salad!
Texas Caviar & Pita Chips
- For the Salad:
- 2 15- ounce can black-eyed peas (drained and rinsed)
- 1/4 red onion (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 plum tomatoes (seeded and chopped)
- 1 small red bell pepper (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 jalapeno (seeded and finely chopped)
- Dash hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Pita Chips:
- 3 Pitas (cut into 8 wedges)
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Clove Garlic (smashed)
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- For the Salad: Combine ingredients in a bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together red wine vinegar and olive oil and a dash of hot sauce, season with salt and pepper. Toss the salad with the dressing. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours and up to 24 hours.
- For the Pita Chips: Cut pitas into 8 wedges. Pour olive oil into a bowl and add garlic, salt and pepper. Brush pita chips olive oil and garlic mixture. Arrange pita chips on baking sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes at 350º.