Gina Neely shares her Texas Caviar, which is a black eyed pea salad!
Texas Caviar & Pita Chips
- For the Salad:
- 2 15- ounce can black-eyed peas (drained and rinsed)
- 1/4 red onion (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 plum tomatoes (seeded and chopped)
- 1 small red bell pepper (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 jalapeno (seeded and finely chopped)
- Dash hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Pita Chips:
- 3 Pitas (cut into 8 wedges)
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Clove Garlic (smashed)
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- For the Salad: Combine ingredients in a bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together red wine vinegar and olive oil and a dash of hot sauce, season with salt and pepper. Toss the salad with the dressing. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours and up to 24 hours.
- For the Pita Chips: Cut pitas into 8 wedges. Pour olive oil into a bowl and add garlic, salt and pepper. Brush pita chips olive oil and garlic mixture. Arrange pita chips on baking sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes at 350º.
Similar categories: Dinner