Custard with Rosemary Orange Caramel
- step-by-step directions
Rosemary Orange Caramel:
- 2 cups water
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1/2 orange (zested in large strips)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 6 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- For the Rosemary Orange Caramel: Bring water to a boil in a small pot. Add the rosemary, orange zest and reduce to a simmer. Cook until water has reduced by half. Pour mixture through a strainer, reserving water and discarding rosemary and zest.
- Return water to the pot and add sugar, stir to dissolve over medium heat. Increase heat to medium-high and cook until mixture turns golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and evenly distribute between 12 ramekins, swirling each to evenly coat the bottom. Set in a baking dish or roasting pan to rest.
- For the Custard: Combine the ingredients in a blender and process on low until evenly smooth. Do not over-mix. Divide the mixture between the 12 caramel-coated ramekins. Fill the baking dish or roasting pan with enough water to come half way up the ramekins.
- Carefully place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until custard has a slight jiggle and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in the water for 10 minutes. Remove from water and dry ramekins before placing in the fridge to cool for 1 hour.
- To serve, loosen flan with a paring knife that you run around the edges of the ramekin. Flip each onto a plate, topping with any caramel left in the ramekin.
Spicy Fried Shrimp
Spaghetti with Ramps and Pecorino
Black-Eyed Peas and Pimento Cheese Nachos
Pork with Gingered Plums
Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding
Blackberry Ricotta Pizza
Flourless Chocolate Cake with Peanut Brittle
Peach and Sriracha Chicken Over Coconut Rice
Quinoa and Shrimp Medley
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Roasted Carrots and Chickpeas with Feta Vinaigrette