Custard with Rosemary Orange Caramel
Rosemary Orange Caramel:
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 1/2 orange (zested in large strips)
- 2 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 14 ounces wweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 6 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- For the Caramel: Bring water to a boil in a small pot. Add the rosemary, orange zest and reduce to a simmer. Cook until water has reduced by half. Pour mixture through a strainer, reserving water and discarding rosemary and zest. Return water to the pot and add sugar, stir to dissolve over medium heat. Increase heat to medium-high and cook until mixture turns golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and evenly distribute between 12 ramekins, swirling each to evenly coat the bottom. Set in a baking dish or roasting pan to rest.
- For the Custard: Combine the ingredients in a blender and process on low until evenly smooth. Do not over-mix. Divide the mixture between the 12 caramel-coated ramekins. Fill the baking dish or roasting pan with enough water to come half way up the ramekins. Carefully place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until custard is slightly giggly and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center. Remove from oven and allow to cool in the water for 10 minutes. Remove from water and dry ramekins before placing in the fridge to cool for 1 hour. Once cool, cover and chill overnight.
- To serve, loosen flan with a paring knife run around the edges of the ramekin. Flip each onto a plate topping with any caramel left in the ramekin.