Custard with Rosemary Orange Caramel
- step-by-step directions
Rosemary Orange Caramel:
- 2 cups water
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1/2 orange (zested in large strips)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 6 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- For the Rosemary Orange Caramel: Bring water to a boil in a small pot. Add the rosemary, orange zest and reduce to a simmer. Cook until water has reduced by half. Pour mixture through a strainer, reserving water and discarding rosemary and zest.
- Return water to the pot and add sugar, stir to dissolve over medium heat. Increase heat to medium-high and cook until mixture turns golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and evenly distribute between 12 ramekins, swirling each to evenly coat the bottom. Set in a baking dish or roasting pan to rest.
- For the Custard: Combine the ingredients in a blender and process on low until evenly smooth. Do not over-mix. Divide the mixture between the 12 caramel-coated ramekins. Fill the baking dish or roasting pan with enough water to come half way up the ramekins.
- Carefully place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until custard has a slight jiggle and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in the water for 10 minutes. Remove from water and dry ramekins before placing in the fridge to cool for 1 hour.
- To serve, loosen flan with a paring knife that you run around the edges of the ramekin. Flip each onto a plate, topping with any caramel left in the ramekin.
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Italian Egg Boat
Waffle Pies with Herbed Eggs
Chai Tea Oatmeal
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits