This red, white and blue pie is the perfect way to show your patriotic spirit this holiday.
Blueberry Cherry Pie wIth Sour Cream
- 1 Recipe: Carla's Perfect Pie Crust
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups cherries (pits and stems removed)
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup honey
- whipped cream (to serve)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Roll out pastry to 12" round and place in deep 9" pie dish. Blind bake with pie weights for 10 minutes. Remove pie weights.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF.
- Using a pastry brush, brush pie dough with egg white and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar. Bake until golden brown, about 15 more minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 tablespoons sugar, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Add blueberries and cherries and toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, add eggs, remaining sugar, sour cream and honey, and whisk to combine. Add the egg mixture to the blueberries and gently fold to combine.
- To the baked and cooled pie crust, add the fruit filling. Bake for 1 hour.
- Serve a slice of pie warm with a dollop of whipped cream.