This dessert goes perfectly with a cup of coffee!
Blueberry Crumb Coffee Cake
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour (plus more for dusting pan)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened but cool)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Generously grease and flour 10” spring form pan.
- Whisk flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl, then cut in butter with whisk until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Remove ¾ cup of the flour mixture to a separate bowl and set aside.
- Add baking powder and baking soda to the large bowl of flour, then add buttermilk, egg and vanilla. Stir well. Batter will be thick. Spoon batter into prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Add the walnuts, brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and lemon zest to the reserved flour mixture. Toss with a fork until blended.
- Sprinkle blueberries evenly over batter, then sprinkle crumb topping over blueberries. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 45 – 50 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool on wire baking rack for 10 minutes. Then remove from pan and allow to cool completely.