An easy-to-eat version of the classic dessert!
Carla Hall's Blueberry Hand Pies
- For the Dough:
- 12 tablespoons Unsalted Butter (cold)
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup Spelt Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 3 oz Packages Cream Cheese (cold and cut into fourths)
- 2 tablespoons Ice Water
- 1 tablespoon Cider Vinegar
- For the Filling:
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1 Lemon (zest and juice)
- 3 cups Fresh or Frozen Blueberries
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- To Finish:
- 1 Egg
- 1 tablespoon Water
- Cut the butter into small 3/4-inch cubes. Wrap in plastic and freeze until frozen solid, about 30 minutes. Place the flour, salt, and baking powder in a gallon sized plastic freezer bag and freeze for at least 30 minutes.
- Place the flour mixture in a food processor with the metal blade and process for a few seconds to fully combine all the ingredients. Add the cream cheese and pulse until it has achieved a coarse meal texture. Add the butter and continue to pulse until the butter is the size of peas. Next, add the water and vinegar. Continue to pulse until the butter is the size of small peas.
- At this point, the mixture is not going to hold together. Transfer back to the plastic freezer bag.
- Fold the ends of the zipper with your fingers and knead the mixture with the heels of your hands until the dough holds together in one piece and stretches when pulled.
- Split the dough into two pieces and wrap in plastic, flatten them into discs, then transfer to the refrigerator for at least 45 minutes, though preferably overnight.
- Combine the sugar, lemon zest and juice, blueberries and salt. Allow mixture to sit for 30 minutes and then strain any excess liquid. Mix in cornstarch and set aside.
- Combine the egg and water in a small bowl.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface to 1/4-inch thick. Using the largest ring mold, cut out discs. Spoon 1 1/2 tablespoons of the blueberry mixture onto the circle fold over and pinch close. Cut a small slit on the hand pie, and brush lightly with the egg mixture and sprinkle with sugar. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake at 360F for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with whipped cream and enjoy!