These tart, zesty bars travel well, making them the ideal pick for a picnic or school lunch.
Blueberry Pucker Bars
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar (divided)
- pinch of salt
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 1 large egg yolk plus 1 tablespoon water (whisked)
- 10 tablespoons cold cubed butter (plus more for greasing)
- 3 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- lemon zest to garnish
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon curd
- 1 cup limoncello
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9x9 baking dish with butter.
- Whisk together the flour, 2/3 cup sugar, salt and lemon zest in a large bowl. Stir in the egg yolk mixture. Working with your hands blend in the cubed butter. Press all but 2 cups of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Toss together the blueberries, lemon juice, remaining sugar and cornstarch. Pour mixture over the crust. Crumble the remaining flour mixture over the blueberries.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until topping is golden and blueberries are cooked down.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature before serving with a dollop of Lemon Cream and drizzle of limoncello syrup.
- For Lemon Cream and Limoncello Syrup: Whip heavy cream and sugar to medium-stiff peaks. Fold in the curd and serve. In a small pot over medium-high heat, reduce the limoncello by half. Chill.
- These bars are even better the next day, so be sure to set aside a few for tomorrow's breakfast.