Sweeten your day with this delectable treat.
Blueberry Whoopie Pies
- For the Whoopie Cake:
- 1 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Fine Salt
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter (at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 large Egg
- 1/2 cup Milk
For the Filling:
- 1 pint Mascarpone Cheese
- 1/2 cup Confectioners Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/4 cup Blueberry Puree (strained)
- pinch fine salt
- Arrange the oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat the oven to 425°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- For the Cakes: Whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the butter and sugar and beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add the egg and milk and beat at medium speed until incorporated. At low speed, add the flour mixture in 2 batches, alternating with the milk, mixing until just blended.
- Using a half-tablespoon measure, drop 18 generous teaspoons of batter onto each sheet, leaving about 2 inches between cakes. Bake until golden and springy to the touch, about 5 to 7 minutes. Let cool on the sheets for 5 minutes, and transfer to racks to cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the mascarpone, confectioners sugar, salt and vanilla and beat at medium speed until smooth, about 3 minutes. Fold in blueberry puree.
- Spread filling on half of the cakes. Sandwich them closed and serve.
- For Blueberry Puree: Pulse a pint of blueberries in a blender or food processor until pureed. Strain mixture with strainer or cheese cloth.