Serve over noodles for a hearty dinner or on a roll for a top-notch sandwich.
Braised Brisket with Bacon
- 3 pounds Beef Brisket (first cut)
- 1/2 pound slab Bacon (cut into large chunks)
- 3 Garlic cloves (smashed)
- 1 Jalapeno (slit down the side)
- 1 large Red Onion (sliced into wedges)
- 2 Carrots (cut into large pieces)
- 1/2 7- ounce can Chipotle Chilies (removed and chopped)
- 3 cups Beef Broth
- 1 12- ounce Lager Beer
- Pickled Red Onions
- Cheddar Jalapeno Biscuits
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Place a large heavy bottomed pot over medium high heat.
- Season the brisket generously on both sides with salt and pepper. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil to the pot and carefully lay in the brisket. Sear until deep golden brown, about 6 to 8 minutes. Flip and brown the other side for another 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the bacon and brown, stirring frequently, for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, jalapeno, onion, carrots and chipotle. Season with salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 3 to 4 more minutes until slightly tender. Add the beer and scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Add the brisket back to the pan and then add the beef stock. Bring up to a simmer. Cook at a gentle simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until the beef is fork tender. Remove the brisket to a cutting board and let rest. Slice thinly. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve topped with the pickled red onions on the cheddar jalapeno biscuits.